Accuracy, rigor and clarity are the core values at FiveThirtieth here, and we’re looking for someone to share them. Five Thirty Eight is hiring a part-time copy editor and fact-checker to join its copy desk and help ensure that our stories, charts, videos and interactive graphics meet site standards for systematic rigor, clear presentation and sound reasoning. This means someone who feels comfortable working with detail-based, numbers, and is interested in collaborating with Five Thirtyiaters across sections across the newsroom.
A successful candidate for this position may have a variety of backgrounds and skills – perhaps a fact-checker, someone with experience at a traditional copy desk, or even a recent college graduate who has a background in statistics or coding and is interested in developing. Editing and research skills. Candidates should No. You will need to tick each of the boxes listed below to apply.
This position is part-time and will not exceed 29 hours per week, with the possibility of continuing to work remotely as long as you keep working hours in the Eastern time zone.
Candidates must have:
- At least two years of fact-checking, copy editing or research experience (college or graduate school acceptable).
- A history of working collaboratively and kindly.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or familiarity with programming languages such as R or Python.
- Ability to use simple math skills to test the accuracy of numbers.
- A subtle attention to detail and a curiosity to learn.
- General knowledge of U.S. politics or major U.S. sports.
Excellent candidate candidates:
- Proficiency with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or skills with statistical programming languages such as R or Python.
- Deep knowledge of US politics or major US sports.
If you are interested, please apply here, and include your resume and a cover letter by April 5th. And again, these would mean that you have to spend for these processes.
Lastly, if you don’t have the time or interest to work 29 hours a week and you tick many of the boxes above, we’re also looking for freelancers to edit and copy fact-checks. For more information, please email [email protected] in the subject line “Freelance Copy Editor”.