FiveThirty is looking for a kind, collaborative and creative Senior Visual Journalist Join our interactive and graphics team. Senior Visual Journalists is the design leader of FiveThree Eight Newsroom. Although they primarily serve as individual contributors, they further enhance the team’s work by advising, thinking, giving and receiving feedback from junior visual journalists, and by leading by example. We are looking for an experienced journalist who will judge strong news, keep a sharp eye on details and hold our work to the highest standards.
The senior visual journalist will report to both Deputy Editor, Interactives and GraphicsOr Senior Editor for Interactive And work closely with reporters and editors across the newsroom, along with the rest of the interactive team. This full-time role with benefits is a US-based position. Full-time remote work may be considered, but we prefer area candidates because our office is in New York City.
If you have questions, please email Deputy Editor Chris Groscope. To apply, submit a cover letter and resume through the Disney Career Portal.
- Creating extremely smooth, visually impressive stories and projects that engage, excite and engage our readers
- Leading the design process for our larger projects by creating policies, specifications and other documentation that enables the team to assign tasks
- Daily chart production and a rotation contribution of “second” less experienced visual journalists
- Inspire, mentor and guide peers and colleagues in their visual work
- Participate in broader strategic conversations about visual style, site design, branding, accessibility, and more.
- Giving thoughtful, candid feedback to peers, coworkers and managers and openly taking turns taking it
- Three or more years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in using design software, especially Adobe Illustrator
- Fluency in basic statistics – for example, understanding a conversation of ideas such as error margin and regression analysis
- Interest in collaborating with other visual journalists, computational journalists, reporters and editors throughout the newsroom
- Experience working on time
- Five years or more of relevant experience
- A strong understanding of U.S. politics, especially electoral politics, major U.S. sports and / or science
- Experience in statistical programming languages, e.g.
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools like QGIS and TopoJSN
- Experience in applying product-design techniques to large journalism projects, such as user research, rapid prototyping and user testing
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply even if they do not meet every qualification.
Eligible but ready for a new challenge? We are hiring a senior editor for Interactive.
ABC News and FiveThirtyAit are equal employers. Applicants will be considered for the job regardless of race, caste, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected seniority status.