Five Thirty Eight is hiring one Art and Design Intern For summer and autumn. Are you someone who likes to tell a compelling story using photography, illustration and design? Are you thinking of a career in visual journalism? The Art and Design Inter will work with senior designers and story editors at FiveThirtieth to make our stories as well-researched and visually appealing as possible. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in editorial design that can make an impact on a small team.
This paid internship will run approximately from May / June 2022 to January 2023 and may be completely remote if you live outside of the New York City area. Eligible current students from recognized colleges or universities, such as recent graduates who enrolled in at least one course in the semester before the internship began.
Art and design interns can work up to 40 hours per week (with some flexibility in schedule as needed).
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and link to your website or portfolio through the Disney Careers portal. Even if you do not tick all the boxes below, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible! If you have any questions about this role, please email Emily Scherer, Senior Designer.
- Researching, cropping and photo captions for stories
- Applying stylistic treatments to photos to create visually consistent art elements for a series of stories (e.g., World Cup update)
- Thinking through the order and motion of images in a story to find the best way to keep our readers engaged everywhere
- Create custom images to lead daily and feature stories
- Helping to integrate stories into WordPress and add ideas for titles and other display text to ensure that all elements of the piece work well together.
- Collaborate with other FiveThirtyEight teams on video and interactive projects
- Interest in a career in graphic design, art direction, photo editing and / or illustration
- Experience in visual arts or photojournalism at the college level
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Generosity and encouragement to cooperate
- Introduction and interest in U.S. politics, sports and / or science
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, After Effects and / or WordPress
ABC News and FiveThirtyAit are equal employers. Applicants will be considered for the job regardless of race, caste, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected seniority status.