Update (March 29, 2022, 10:01 am): We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Five Thirty Eight is a creative and creative looking Associate Visual Journalist Join our interactive and graphics team. This entry-level position is ideal for recent graduates and career changers, as it provides instant access to the experience and mentoring needed to be a rich member of the interactive team. Everyday work involves primarily creating static charts, but associate visual journalists will also have the opportunity to work on interactives and occasionally pitch their own work.
The Associate Visual Journalist will report to either one Deputy Editor, Interactives and GraphicsOr Senior Editor, Interactives, And work closely with reporters and editors across the newsroom, along with the rest of the interactive team. This full-time role with benefits is a US-based position. Since our offices are in New York, we prefer candidates based in the New York area, but full-time remote work may be considered.
If you have questions, please email Deputy Editor Chris Groscope. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume through the Disney Career Portal.
- Creating static and base charts with daily and feature stories under the supervision of editors or more senior visual journalists
- Contribute code and design to small elements or large elements of an interactive project as the sole contributor when working in close collaboration with more senior visual journalists.
- Actively learning new technical skills and domain knowledge required to succeed in each project
- Collaborate with the interactive team and the rest of the newsroom by actively engaging in routine workflows such as copy editing, story check-in, and project retrospectives.
- Project status with unexpected roadblocks or delays Communicating with partners and stakeholders from time to time
- Give and receive candid feedback from colleagues, co-workers and managers
- A passion for data visualization and crafting graphics that tells a clear story
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
- Ability to balance deadlines with opportunities to test and create new ways to visualize sports and political data
- Encourage other five-thirty-eight journalists to collaborate on their beats
- A strong understanding of U.S. politics, especially electoral politics, major U.S. sports and / or science
- Fluency in basic statistics
This is an entry-level position so if you do not check every box but still think it will be a great role for you, please apply!
ABC News and FiveThirtyAit are equal employers. Applicants will be considered for the job regardless of race, caste, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected seniority status.